Artist residencies in Esch-sur-Alzette, open to all contemporary artistic disciplines.

With 7 apartment-workshops and shared spaces, the Bridderhaus is a place that is dedicated to artists. It is also open to the public for exhibitions, performances, conferences and encounters.

The space consists of the historic building and its original annex, known as Apdikt, an outer courtyard and a contemporary ecological wooden extension (Annex) connected by walkways. It contains the 7 apartments for artist residencies (bedroom and spaces for creation), including 1 for people with reduced mobility and 1 for family, as well as 5 independent workshops, modular exhibition spaces, a large modular room, and a shared kitchen. The Annex has residences for people with reduced mobility, and a restaurant with a view of the terrace and outer courtyard

The history of the Bridderhaus

Built in 1878 by the directors of the Metz steel mill, the Bridderhaus (Brothers' House) was initially a hospital. In the early 20th century the Fondation Norbert placed two religious brothers at the head of the hospital service, which featured some forty beds at the time and was equipped with modern equipment of the day. Following the construction of the Centre Hospitalier Emile-Mayrisch, the Bridderhaus became a treatment centre for retired ARBED workers and invalids. In 1963 the ARBED donated the building to the city of Esch-sur-Alzette, which ceded the property to the State. The service was administered by religious personnel until 1981, then by the Sernior and Hëllef Doheem foundations until 2010, when the building was abandoned. Since 2018 the Bridderhaus has again been included in the Supplementary Inventory of Buildings and enjoys national protection due to its marked historical, architectural and artistic character. In the framework of Esch22, European Capital of Culture, the city of Esch-sur-Alzette decided to make it into an artists' residence. The renovation and transformation works were assigned to Beng Architectes, who collaborated closely with the Department for National Sites and Monuments.